Tui Na Massage Therapy: Is Tui Na the Right Choice for You?

A tiny mountain community known as Tui Na is located in the People’s Republic of China’s Shaolin province. This town is small and there are only a few buildings. It appears more like a logging village. Tui Na was always the perfect place to relax and unwind for me. The reason for my friendly atmosphere was because I was able to study Tai Na from a master that lived there and practiced it daily.

I began learning about tui na and performing Tui Na massages from an expert named Wang Xian (who also practiced at his own home). His library was filled with books on the practice and he gave them to me so that I could browse the books. I also discovered that there are several schools of thought concerning the study of tui na. I learned that there are seven meridians that are linked , and that our body is connected to these meridians.

In reading many books, I realized that Chi, Qi and Blood are the seven meridians. They also contain bones, teeth, joints and blood. The research I conducted revealed that practitioners of Na use different massage techniques to treat each meridien. I also discovered that the traditional Chinese medical practice believes there are around twenty-four important points on the body which are connected to each other and are responsible for the organs of the body and tissues. Every organ and every tissue is believed to have a particular point. The twelve meridians are believed to flow parallel to the chi within the body. This is why certain practitioners utilize the symbol of the twelve meridians while doing a the tui na massage.

In the year 2000, when the Chinese government and the United States started promoting Tui Na as a healing method, Tui Na became very well-known in the West. The popularity of the therapy grew due to the appearance of TV programs that featured Chinese herbalists who advocated the practice as a different form of medicine. I was able to watch one such show, which featured women getting an Tui Na massage following working a hard day. The relaxation the women felt as well as the positive feedback received from employees at the massage salon were both fascinating to me.

A few years later, I attended an acupuncture and massage class that was run by an internationally-known acupuncturist. In the course of my visit, he showed me how to perform the Tui Na massage. He also explained that he could perform the treatment on any person who visited his shop. He appeared very natural and didn’t appear to be someone who would do acupuncture. He explained to me that his students were taught to use their loose hands so that they could apply direct pressure to the acupoints, without having to rely on their fingers. He had me participate in a few sessions with him before introducing me to the other practitioners using the Tui Na system.

My experience with Tui Na was a wonderful experience. One of my first sessions made me feel that my life was transformed. I felt more light, energetic and alert. My treatment helped me feel more energized and my Chi was flowing freely through my body. Even though my skin was slightly sensitive, I really enjoyed the overall results of the Tui Na treatment.

Since then I have been acquainted with Tui Na’s philosophy and fundamental principles that led to its creation. The oldest concept of Tui Na is that the universe is comprised of energy and exists in three separate kinds: Jing, Qi and Shen. Jing is the softest of the three forms and can be easily altered by our minds, bodies, and souls. Qi is the strongest form and is considered by Tui Na practitioners to be the primary force that exists in the universe. Additionally, Shen the dark energy that governs the relationships between Jing, Qi and Shen and is the cause of the evil in all things.

Tui Na believes that any of these three energies may alter and destroy the relationship between them and cause the demise of our physical existence. An experienced practitioner must keep all three energy forces in check. A qualified Tui Na massage therapist can help. Only those who are qualified can be capable of safely and effectively manipulate the three energy fields to change lives. It is important to find a Tui Na practitioner who combines both Eastern and Western health practices in his practice. The practitioner you choose can help you reach the health and well-being you desire.